Read the novel, then choose TWO of the following literary terms and write a 500-word comparison literary analysis between your novel and The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Include TEN (10) Buzz Words from the year. DUE FRIDAY, MAY 29th (100 POINTS)
Allegory, Allusion, Alliteration, Character, Conflict, Foreshadowing, Metaphor, Mood, Motif, Paradox, Point of View, Plot, Satire, Setting, Style, Symbolism, Theme, Tone
Your independent reading analysis must be 100% original. Please make sure to Google your potential analysis to make sure it has not already been done. Also because this is an analysis, watching the movie version will not help you with this final. You must read the novel in order to respond.
1. Find a fiction novel or novella of your choice.
Example: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
2. While reading, take as many notes as possible. Make notes on a bookmark, on the actual page, in a notebook, etc. Rule of thumb: copy down interesting quotes, unknown vocabulary words, summarization of chapters, characterization observations of important characters, identify symbols…
3. After finishing the novel or novella, choose 1-2 literary elements that interested you or was your “page turner” throughout the reading process. Based on this/these elements, think about how they were used in comparison to The Alchemist and all its themes.
4. Start comparing/contrasting and outlining how you will structure your analysis.
I. What a star really is vs. How it’s perceived
II. Cancer patients’ wishes
III. Disney’s perception of reality
IV. Fault in our Stars view on Cancer being bad, what good comes out of it
V. Pinnochio’s view on kids’ consciousness affecting good vs. bad
VI. VI. Dream vs. Wish
5. Create a solid, 100% original thesis statement/argument.
Through the literary vehicles of metaphor and symbolism, both John Green’s Fault in Our Stars and Paulo Coelho’s The Alchemist paint the mirages of dreams by touching on the fallacies of wishes, the discombulated views of reality, and the contentious, conscious battle between good vs. bad.
6. Write an AT LEAST 500 WORDS analysis: Typed, 12 point Times New Roman or Arial font, Double Spaced, MLA format